KINZIE FAMILY BIOGRAPHIES PAGE


James Kinzie (1793-1866)
JAMES KINZIE, who was born at Detroit, April 21, 1793, returned to the West soon after the close of the War of 1812. As early as the summer of 1818 he was a trader connected with the American Fur Company, and in 1821 is mentioned by the United States Factor at Green Bay as having been "detected in selling large quantities of whiskey to the Indians at and near Miwalky of Lake Michigan; in consequence of which the Indian agent at Chicago directed him to close his concerns at Milwalky in sixty days, and leave the place." He probably came to Chicago soon after this, as Mark Beaubien bought a log house of hint in 1826. In 1829, in company with Archibald Caldwell, he built a tavern at Wolf Point, on the West Side, at the "forks" of the river. Mr. Caldwell told out his interest to James Kinzie and the latter rented the house to Elijah Wentworth, who arrived at Chicago in the fail of 1829 and opened the Wolf Tavern in 1830. Mr. Kinzie built. in 1833, the Green Tree Tavern on the northeast corner of North Canal and West Lake streets, its name being from a solitary oak which stood near. This hotel, afterward called tim Chicago Hotel, was situated, together with the dwelling of Mr. Kinzie, and the store of Messrs. Kinzie & Hall, on Lot 7, Block 22, original Town of Chicago. Mr. Kinzie's partner was his half brother, Mr. Hall, who formerly resided in Virginia. Mr. Kinzie was one of the trustees of the School Section in December, 1829; the first Sheriff appointed by the Governor for Cook County; the first town auctioneer; and one of the Town Trustees in 1825. Itc married his first wife, Leah See, daughter of William See, a preacher and blacksmith, who also lived at Wolf Point. Mr. Kinzie removed to Racine (then Root River), Wis, as early as 1835, where his wife died June 22, 1835. On his removal to Racine he at first opened a store for white and Indian trade, and afterward engaged in milling and farming. The second wife of Mr. Kinzie was Virginia Hale, who survived him. He removed from Racine to the interior of Wisconsin, and died in Clyde, Iowa Co., January 13, 1866." [Source : History of Early Chicago Modern Chicago and its Settlement Early Chicago, and the Northwest, by Albert Hager, p. 96]


John Harris Kinzie (1803-1865):
JOHN H. KINZIE was born at Sandwich, U. C., on the 7th of July, 1803. It was not by design that his birthplace was in the British Dominions, for his mother was patriotic beyond most of her sex; but having crossed the river from Detroit, the place of her temporary sojourn, to pass the day with her sister, Mrs. William Forsyth, it so happened that before evening her eldest son drew his first breath on a foreign soil. While still an infant he was carried in an Indian cradle, on the shoulders of a French engagé, to their home, at what is now the town of Bartrand on the St. Joseph River, in Michigan. At one of their encampments, on the journey, he made a narrow escape with his life, owing to the carelessness of his bearer in placing him against a tree in the immediate proximity of a blazing fire. A spark escaping, lodged in the neck of his dress, causing a fearful burn, of which he carried the mark ever after. His father having purchased the trading establishment of Mons. LeMai, at the mouth of the Chicago River, removed with his family to the place on the following year. Some companies of infantry, under command of Major John Whistler, arrived at the same time--4th of July and commenced the construction of Fort Dearborn. At his home, on the banks of the river, nearly opposite the fort, the childhood of Mr. Kinzie was passed, until the breaking out of the War of 1812. The frontier at that time afforded no facilities for education. What children contrived to scramble into must be acquired under the paternal roof. Mr. Kinzie loved to describe his delight upon one occasion, when on the opening of a chest of tea, among the stores brought by the annual schooner, a spelling-book was drawn forth and presented to him. His cousin, Robert Forsyth, at that time a member of his father's family, undertook to teach him to read, and, although there seems to have been but little patience and forbearance on the part of the young pedagogue to sweeten the task of learning, the exercises gave to the pupil a pleasant association with the fragrance of green tea, which always kept that spelling-book fresh in his mind. A discharged soldier was upon one occasion engaged to take charge of him, along with the officer's children, but the teacher's habits of drunkenness and irregularity caused the school to be discontinued in less than three months. His best friend in these days was Washington Whistler, a son of the commanding officer, in after years a distinguished civil engineer in his own country, and in the service of the Emperor of Russia. At the time of the massacre in 1812, Kinzie was nine years of age. He preserved a distinct recollection of all the particulars that came under his own observation. The discipline of these thrilling events doubtless helped to form in him that fearlessness as well as that self-control which characterized his manly years. The circumstances of the massacre are familiar to all. When the troops left the garrison, some friendly chiefs, knowing what was in contemplation by their young men, who would not be restrained, took possession of the boat in which was Mrs Kinzie and her children, and guarded them safely till the fighting was over.

They were the next day escorted by the Chief" Robinson," and other friends, in their boat, to the St. Joseph River, to the home of Mme. Bertrand, a sister of the famous Chief To-pee-nee-bee-haw, whence, after a short sojourn, they were carried to Detroit, and delivered as prisoners of war to the British commanding officer, Colonel McKee. The family, after the father rejoined them in the following winter, were established in the old family mansion, on the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Wayne Street, Detroit. One of the reddest features of the ensuing winter was the spectacle of the suffering of the American prisoners, who were from time to time brought into headquarters by their Indian captors. The tenderness of feeling, which was a distinguishing trait in the subject of this sketch, made him ever foremost in his efforts to bargain with the savages for the ransom of the sufferers, and many were thus rescued, and nursed, and cared for--sometimes to the salvation of their lives, though too often to merely a mitigation of the tortures they had undergone. Mr. Kinzie, Sr., had been paroled by General Proctor, but upon a suspicion that he was in correspondence with General Harrison, who was known to be meditating an attempt to recover the city of Detroit, he was seized and sent a prisoner to Canada, leaving his wife and young family to be cared for as they might, until, after the lapse of some months, the capture of the place by General Harrison secured them a fast friend in that noble and excellent man. The father was at length released and restored to his family, with one solitary shilling in his pocket. That little coin has always been carefully preserved by his descendants, as a memento of those troublous times. It so happened that in Detroit, as upon more remote frontiers, the advantages of education were extremely limited. The war had disarranged everything. During the four years' sojourn of the family in this place the children had occasional opportunities of beginning at a school which promised well, but which, as a general rule, was discontinued at the end of the first quarter. Amid such unpropitious circumstances were the rising generation at that day obliged to acquire what degree of learning they found it possible to attain.

In 1816, the Kinzie family returned to their desolated home in Chicago. The bones of the murdered soldiers, who had fallen four years before, were still lying unburied where they had fallen. The troops whorebuilt the fort collected and interred these remains. The coffins which contained them were deposited near the bank of the river, which then had its outlet about at the foot of Madison Street. The cutting through the sand-bar for the harbor caused the lake to encroach and wash away the earth, exposing the long range of coffins and their contents, which were afterwards cared for and reinterred by the civil authorities. In the year 1818, when he was in his sixteenth year, Colonel Kinzie was taken by his father to Mackinaw, to be indentured to the American Fur Company, and placed under the care of Ramsey Crooks, "to learn," as the articles express it, "the art and mystery of merchandising in all its various parts and branches." This engagement was for five years, during which time he was never off the island, except upon one occasion, when he was taken by Robert Stewart, who succeeded Mr. Crooks at the head of the company, to visit the British officers at Drummond Island. Itc was never during this period at an evening entertainment, never saw" a show," except one representation by an indifferent company, who had strayed up the lakes, of some pantomimes and tricks of sleight-of-hand. His days were passed from five o'clock in the morning till tea-time, in the warehouse or in superintending the numerous engagés, making up outfits for the Indian trade, or receiving the packs and commodities which arrived from time to time. In the evening, he read aloud to his kind and excellent friend, Mrs. Stewart, who was unwearied in her efforts to supply the deficiencies which his unsettled and eventful life had made inevitable. To her explanations and judicious criticisms upon the books he read, and her patience in imparting knowledge from her own well-stored mind, he was indebted for the ambition which surmounted early disadvantages, and made him the equal of many whose youthful years have been trained in schools. Mr. Stewart was a severe disciplinarian. lie believed that the surest way to make of a clerk a systematic and methodical man of business was never to overlook the slightest departure from the prescribed routine of duty. Upon one occasion, young Kinzie, out of patience with the slow-dragging movements of a party of Ills employés, who were engaged in hauling wood in sledges across the straits from Bois Blank Island, took the reins from tile hands of one, and drove across and returned with his load, to show tile men how much more they could have accomplished if they hart made the effort. Mr, Stewart's commendation was, "Ah, you bare changed your occupation for that of hauling wood, have you! Very well, you eau continue it;" and, as the young man was too proud to ask to be relieved, he actually drove the sledge and brought wood through the bitter winter till the ice gave way in May. His chief recreations throughout this period were trapping silver-gray foxes during any chance leisure hour in the winter, and learning to play on the violin, his instruct-ress being a half-breed woman. In 1824, being still in the employ of the Fur Company, he was transferred from Mackinaw to Prairie du Chien. He had made a visit to his parents on attaining his majority, and had returned to Mackinaw in a small boat, coasting the western shore of Lake Michigan. He was the first white man who set foot on shore at Wau-kee-gan--at least since the days of the explorers. While at Prairie du Chien, Mr. Kinzie learned the Winnebago language, and compiled a grammar, as far as such a task was practicable. The Ottawa, Pottawatomie, and Chippewa dialects be had been familiar with from his childhood. He also learned the Sioux language, and partially that of the Sauks and Foxes. About this time, Colonel Kinzie received an invitation from General Cass, then Governor of the Territory of Michigan, to become his private secretary, and in 1826, be escorted a deputation of Winnebagoes to Washington to visit their Great Father, the President. He was at the Treaty of "Butte des Morts" in the summer of 1827, and accompanied the Commissioner, Colonel Me-Kenny, to the Portage of the Fox and Wisconsin dyers, to be present at the surrender of the "Red-Bird," a Winnebago chief, who, with his comrades, had been concerned in the murder of the Gaznier family at Prairie du Chien, Mr. Kinzie took a different view of the actual complicity of Red-Bird from what has been given to the public. His journal, kept at the time, is of great interest. He was called from his station, beside the military officer appointed to receive the prisoners, by Kau-ray-man-nee, the principal chief of the nation, to stand beside him, and listen to what was said on both sides at this interview, and tell him whether his speech to the "Big Knives" and their reply to him were rightly interpreted. During the time of his residence with General Cass, who was by virtue of his appointment, also superintendent of the Northern Division of the Indian Tribes, he was sent to the vicinity of Sandusky, to learn the language of the Wyandots, or Hurons, their manners and customs, legends, traditions, etc. Of this language he also compiled a grammar. The large amount of Indian lore which he collected in these various researches, was, of course, placed in the hands of his chief, General Cass; and it is greatly to be regretted that as far as can be ascertained not a trace of it now remains extant. Mr. Kinzie rceived the appointment of Agent for the upper bands of the Winnebagoes in 1829, and fixed his residence at the portage, where Fort Winnebago was in that year constructed. In 1830 he married, and continued to reside among his red-children--to whom he was, and is still proclaimed by the oppressed few who remain, a kind, judicious, and watchful "father." In 1833 the Kinzie family, having established their pre-emption to the quarter section upon which the family mansion had stood since 1804. Colonel Kinzie (such was then his title as aid to the Commander-in-Chief, Governor Cass,) came with his brother in-law, General Hunter, to Chicago, and together they laid out that part of the town since known as Kinzie's Addition. In 1834 lie brought his family to Chicago to reside. He was first President of the village, when a prediction of the present opulence and prosperity of the city would have seemed the wildest chimera. He was appointed Collector of Tolls on the canal immediately on its completion. In 1841 he was made Registrar of Public Lands by General Harrison, but was removed by Tyler when he laid aside the mask under which he gained the nomination for Vice-President. In 1849, General Taylor conferred upon him the appointment of Receiver of Public Moneysand Depositary. His office of Collector he held until commissioned by President Lincoln as Paymaster in the Army, in 1861. The latter appointment he held until the close of the War. His labors were vast and wearying, for he had the supervision of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois; yet he was too conscientious, in the state of the public finances, to apply for more aid. During the four years he discharged this large amount of duty with the assistance of but a solitary clerk. It was too much for him; his health gave way. When a tardy leave of absence arrived, he set out with his family upon a journey, in hopes that mountain air or sea-bathing would recruit his exhausted forces. But he was destined to reach hardly the first stage of his journey. While riding in the cars approaching Pittsburgh, and conversing with his ordinary cheerfulness, he remarked a blind man approaching, and, perceiving that he was asking alms, be characteristically put his hand in his pocket. In the act, his head drooped gently, and with a peaceful sigh, his spirit departed to its rest.

Colonel Kinzie married, in Middletown, Conn., August 9, 1830, Miss Juliette A. Magill, daughter of Arthur Magill of that place. He was at that time Indian Agent at Fort Winnebago, and the young couple, after a brief visit in New York, set out for their home in the western wilderness. In the latter part of September they arrived at Detroit, and took passage on the steamer "Henry Clay," for Green Bay, via Mackinaw. Arriving there they passed down the Fox River to the Portage and Fort Winnebago. Colonel Kinzie visited Chicago in the fall of 1830, at the time of Dr. Wolcows death, and again in the spring of 1831, the latter time accompanied by his wife. The family came to Chicago to reside in 1834. St. James' parish was organized the same year, and on the 12th of October Rev. Isaac W. Hallam arrived in the place to take charge of it. Mr. and Mrs. John H. Kinzie were from the first most influential and devoted members of St. James' Church, and with Gurdon S. Hubbard and Mrs. Margaret Helm may be considered its founders. The first regular services of the Church were held in a room in a wooden building standing on the corner of Wolcott (now North State) and Kinzie streets, which was fitted up by Mr. Kinzie, and the lots on the southeast corner of Cass and Illinois streets, where a church edifice of brick was erected in 1836-37, were donated by him. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Kinzie was on the northeast corner of Cass and Michigan streets, and the generous hospitality of both host and hostess was proverbial. Mr. Kinzie left a widow, one son and two daughters. His eldest son (born at Fort Winnebago) was killed in an engagement at White River, in the summer of 1862, and he had also buried a daughter. Mrs. Juliette A. Kinzie died September 15, 1870, at Amagansett, L. S. Her death was caused by the fatal mistake of a druggist, who sent her morphine, which she unfortunately swallowed instead of quinine, which she had ordered." [Source : History of Early Chicago Modern Chicago and its Settlement Early Chicago, and the Northwest, by Albert Hager]


Ellen Marion Kinzie (1805-1860)
ELLEN MARION KINZIE, eldest daughter of John and Eleanor, was born in the "Kinzie House," in December, 1804, and was probably the first white child born in Chicago. During the residence of the family in Detroit she attended school at that place, and afterward at Middletown, Ct. On July 20, 1823, she was married to Dr. Alexander Wolcott, then Indian Agent at Chicago. Her husband died at the agency-house in 1830, and the following year with her sister. Mrs. Hunter, she accompanied the troops. then vacating Fort Dearborn, to Fort Howard, Green Bay. In 1836 she married, at Detroit, Mich., Hon. George C. Bates of that city. Mrs. Bates died at Detroit, August 1, 1860, at the residence of Bishop McCoskey, leaving a husband and one son, Kinzie Bates." [Source : History of Early Chicago Modern Chicago and its Settlement Early Chicago, and the Northwest, by Albert Hager]


James Kinzie (1816-1910) :
JAMES KINZIE, farmer, P. O. DeWitt, was born in West Virginia in 1816, going to Michigan in 1820, with his parents, locating in St. Joseph County, where they remained until 1830, when he went to Elkhart County, Ind., remaining there until 1847, when he went to Iowa, County, Wis., where he remained until 1854, and in company with his uncle, James Kinzie, built two grist-mills and was engaged in milling while there. He then went to Indiana and was engaged in farming until 1861, when he again went West and located in Gage County, Neb., and located on 160 acres of land on Section 17 and 18, Town 5, Range 5. Took his place as a homestead, and has since added to it until he has 400 acres lying in Clatonia Creek, with 240 acres under cultivation. Mr. Kinzie was one of the early settlers of this part of the county, and for a number of years had to go to Nebraska City for supplies. Mr. Kinzie was married in 1847 to Miss Lydia E. Hatch, of La Grange Center, La Grange Co., Ind. They have eleven children--Mary, William A., John D., L. J., Sally A., Maria, Alice, Emma, Clara Belle, James E. and William E. Mr. Kinzie is a grandson of John Kinzie, the first settler of Chicago." [Source : History of the State of Nebraska : Gage County, by A.T. Andreas]

JAMES KINZIE. Of Grant Township's veteran pioneer settlers, the subject of this sketch is one of the most worthy of introduction to the readers of this volume. Since his establishment in the county he has been unremitting in his efforts and most unwearied in his endeavors to advance the interests thereof in every possible manner. His first entry of land dates from the year 1861. He is the owner of 280 acres of most excellently improved and cultivated land, and is certainly to be numbered among the best farmers of the county. His property and residence are situated upon section 8, his home being beautifully located, and affording the necessaries of comfort and convenience, and not a few luxuries of life. His property is well stocked with timber and well supplied with water.

The father of our subject, William Kinzie, welcomed his son to the present life on the 22d of December, 1816, at his home in West Virginia. The grandfather of our subject, John H. Kinzie, was born of Scottish parents, in New York City, and until this time the name had been prefixed by the syllable, Mac, represented in the usual manner. He was one of the heroes of the Revolutionary Army, and also of the War of 1812. He saw much of military life and was a recognized able soldier and officer. He was one of the first to be in what is now Chicago, being Indian agent for that district, and making it his headquarters. The well-known, important business thoroughfare in that city, Kinzie street, received its name in his honor. He died at a very advanced age, while that town was still known by the name of Ft. Dearborn, his death being very sudden and caused by heart disease.

William Kinzie, the father of our subject, was born in what is now Detroit, Mich. He grew to manhood in the State of Ohio, and served through the War of 1812. His chosen occupation in life was that of farming. The maiden name of his wife was Rebecca Martin, whom he met and married in the southeastern part of the State. After this important and interesting event they continued to make their home in Ohio until 1832. They then removed to Elkhart County, Ind., took up land and improved a new farm. His wife died in 1842, somewhat past middle life; somewhat later the widowed husband came to Nebraska, and in the year 1869 died at the home of our subject, where he had been residing for some time, in his seventy-eighth year.

Our subject was the third child and first son of a family of ten children, fonr of whom were daughters. One of the sons died from sickness during military service. The subject of our sketch was reared in Ohio and Indiana, and entered upon his majority in the latter State. There, also, in 1848, he became the husband of Lydia E. Hatch, who was born in Pennsylvania, in the year 1831. She is the third daughter of Albert and Sally A. (Wood) Hatch, both of whom are now deceased. They departed this life at LaPorte, Ind. They were natives of New York State, and after their marriage made their home there until after the birth of two children, then removed to Pennsylvania. In 1837 they went to the Hoosier State, making their home at Elkhart for a time, but the father, who was by trade a millwright and a skilled workman, not long afterward removed to Chicago, and was employed in the carshops of that city. He finally removed to LaPorte, where he established a foundry, and invented and brought out the first corn sheller in the country for the use of Messrs. Peck & Co., the extensive grain dealers in that city.

Lydia Kinzie, daughter of the above and wife of our subject, received a good education in the Indiana schools. This was subsequently supplemented by her own most laudable, ambitious efforts at self-improvement, which have made her a well-educated lady, and have also given her a perfect command over what she has learned, and made it possible for her to utilize the same at any time. She has become the mother of eleven children, and it is her happiness to have them all living; seven of them are married and have homes of their own, and fill honorable and responsible positions in life. They are as follows; Mary E., the wife of John Wehn, Jr., editor of the Opposition, at Wilber, Neb.; William, who is married to Sarah Barnhouse, and living upon a farm in Grant Township; Laura J., the wife of Calvin C. Goodhart, an engineer on the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, and resident at Wymore; John D., who is still at home; Sally A., now Mrs. James Clary, and living in Jefferson County, Neb.; Agnes, the widow of Peter Shawm, at present residing with her parents; Alice, happily married to Charles Morris, a farmer in Grant Township; Emma R., wife of Tom Collister, of Frontier County; James E. and Erastus E. (twins), still at home; and Clarissa B., also still with her parents.

Upon the roll of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at DeWitt, are found the names of our subject, his wife, and several members of their family. They are among its most able supporters, stanch friends and consistent members, and as a result are very highly esteemed. The subject of our sketch is not in the front rank of politicians, but is ever ready to do his full duty as a citizen with all loyal eagerness, he usually votes with the Democratic party. Although not much found political circles, his bright, genial smile is seldom missed from any gathering, religious, social or otherwise, where projects and plans are to be perfected or carried out for the benefit of the community or even a more prescribed circle, if only the object be right, honorable, charitable or beneficent. Both himself and wife have always been the true friends of such enterprises, and hold a very warm place in the hearts of those who know them. [Source : Biographical Album of Gage County Nebraska].


Kinzie Bates (1839-1884) :
"Name: Kinzie Bates , Enlistment Date: 18 April 1861 Distinguished Service: DISTINGUISHED SERVICE Side Served: Union State Served: Michigan Death Date: 20 February 1884 Unit Numbers: 1094 1094 2455 Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 18 April 1861 at the age of 22 Enlisted in Company A, 1st Infantry Regiment Michigan on 01 May 1861. Promoted to Full Lieutenant 2nd Class on 05 August 1861 (1st RA Inf) Discharged for promotion Company A, 1st Infantry Regiment Michigan on 05 August 1861 Commission in 1st Infantry Regiment RA on 05 August 1861. Promoted to Full Lieutenant 1st Class on 23 November 1861 (1st RA Inf) Promoted to Brevet Captain on 04 October 1862 Promoted to Brevet Major on 04 July 1863 Promoted to Full Captain on 15 March 1866"*


Dr. William M Manson (1830-1912)
"DR. WILLIAM MANSON, was born in Miami County, Ohio, in 1830, and lived in his native State about twenty years and moved to White County, Ind., and lived in that State about seven years and came to Kansas in 1857, and located at Burlington, and engaged in the practice of his profession. Dr. Manson was educated at Rush Medical College at Chicago, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1855. He has been engaged in the practice of medicine for twenty-eight years in the States of Indiana and Kansas. He was married in Burlington, in 1858, to Miss G. H. Kinzie, a native of Chicago, Ill.; have four children -- Kate, Robert, David and Carrie. Dr. Manson has been County Treasurer for Coffey County, Coroner and Pension Examiner for the Government; is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows."*

Dr. William Manson :
Dr. Wm. Manson was born in Fletcher, Ohio, January 5, 1930 and came to Burlington, Kansas in April, 1857, where he opened up an office for the practice of medicine which he has practiced continuously up to the time of his death. He was graduated from Rush Medical College in 1855, being one of the oldest graduates. He was married in Burlington to Gwinthlean H. Kinzie, May 21, 1858 at her father's home, which is now known as the Menzie place, where he had erected the hose which is still standing. Eight children were born to this union, three dying in infancy. The surviving ones are Catharine G. Fitzsimmons, Robert M. Manson, Caroline M. Lane, Dr. David W. Manson, and John J. Manson.
In the earlier days of the county's history, Dr. Manson was active in political affairs and held the offices of county treasurer and coroner and was health officer for many years. He was a charter member of Burlington lodge of Odd Fellows and was among the best known citizens of the county for many years. He was intimately acquainted with all of the older citizens of the county and his practice extended for many miles in every direction. In the last year or so his son, Dr. David Manson has taken over the practice while his father has taken things easy at home. The funeral was held at the home and was attended by many of the old friends. Miss Phyllis Allen sang an appropriate solo and Dr. Hanna read from the burial service. The interment was in the family lot in Mt. Hope cemetery." [Source : Burlington Republican, October 18, 1912]


Brig-Gen. George Hume Steuart (1828-1903) :
"Name: George Hume Steuart State Served: Maryland Highest Rank: Brig-Gen Birth Date: 1828 Death Date: 1903 Birth Place: Baltimore, Maryland Army: Confederacy Promotions: Promoted to Full Captain Promoted to Full Lt Colonel (1st MD Inf) Promoted to Full Colonel Promoted to Full Brig-Gen Biography: Brigadier-General George H. Steuart was born at Baltimore, August 24, 1838, and was graduated at the United States military academy in 1848, with a lieutenancy in the Second Dragoons."

"He served on frontier duty in the United States army; on the march through Texas to Austin in 1848-49, and remained on duty at various garrisons in Texas until 1855, when he was promoted first-lieutenant First cavalry, March 3rd, and captain December 20th. Subsequently he was engaged tin garrison duty in Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado, in the Cheyenne expedition of 1856, the Utah expedition of 1848, and the Comanche expedition of 1860. Immediately after April 19, 1861, he resigned his commission, and going to Richmond, was commissioned captain of cavalry in the regular army of the Confederate States. Upon the formation of the First regiment, Maryland infantry, he was appointed lieutenant-colonel of that command, and by special good conduct won the commendation of Gen. J. E. Johnston in orders.

He was with the regiment under Colonel Elzey during its distinguished service at the first battle of Manassas, and at the promotion of Elzey, Steuart was commissioned colonel. In March, 1862, he was promoted brigadier-general, and given command of a brigade in Ewell's division, consisting of the Forty-fourth, Fifty-second and Fifty-eighth Virginia regiments, to which the First Maryland was added, which he led during Jackson's campaign in the valley, receiving a severe wound at Cross Keys, which disabled him for some time.

In the Pennsylvania campaign he commanded a brigade consisting of the Second Maryland, the First and Third North Carolina, and the Tenth, Twenty-third and Thirty-seventh Virginia regiments, in Johnson's division of Ewell's corps, and was distinguished in the assault on Culp's Hill. In the first of the fighting at the Wilderness in 1864, he is found pushing in with his brigade after the repulse of Jones to meet the Federal attack, and continuing in the struggle until the 12th of May, fatal to his division, which held the salient at Spottsylvania, known as the bloody angle, and was overwhelmed on that date by the early morning attack of Hancock.

General Steuart was among the prisoners taken by the Federals, and was one of those sent to Hilton Head to be placed under fire of the Confederate batteries. Being exchanged he returned to the army on the Petersburg and Richmond lines and was assigned to command the First brigade of Pickett's division, consisting of the Ninth, Fourteenth, Thirty-eighth, Fifty-third and Fifty-seventh Virginia regiments. With this brigade he fought at the center of Pickett's line at Five Forks, on the day preceding the evacuation of Richmond.

Since the war General Steuart has resided upon his farm in Anne Arundel county, Maryland. He is a member of the Army and Navy society, and since the formation of the Maryland division of the United Confederate Veterans, has served as its commander-in- chief.
[Source: Confederate Military History, vol. II, p. 167].

"STEUART, George Hume, soldier, was born in Baltimore, Md., Aug. 24, 1828. He was graduated from the United States Military academy, and promoted brevet 2d lieutenant, 2d dragoons, July 1, 1848; served on frontier duty and on the march through Texas to Austin, 1848-49; was promoted 2d lieutenant, 2d dragoons, Nov. 11, 1849; was on duty at Fort Graham, Tex., 1849-51, and at various forts in Texas, 1851-55, escorting Lieutenant-Colonel Freeman in an inspection tour through Texas in 1853, and was promoted 1st lieutenant, 1st cavalry, March 3, 1855. He was on recruiting service; frontier duty at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and in the Sioux expedition, 1855, being promoted captain, Dec. 20; served in the Cheyenne expedition, being engaged in a skirmish near Fort Kearny, Neb., Aug. 26, 1856, and was again on duty at Fort Leavenworth, 1857-58. He served in the Utah expedition, 1858; at Fort Riley, Kan., 1858-60, scouting to Arkansas river, 1859; in the Kiowa and Camanche expedition and at Fort Wise, Col., 1860, and was on leave of aberice, 1860-61. He resigned his commission, April 22, 1861, and joined the Confederate army; was commissioned lieutenant-colonel, let Maryland infantry, June 16, 1861; was promoted colonel in July, 1861, and brigadier-general in March, 1862. He led the cavalry with General Jackson in advance upon General Banks, May, 1862, and was subsequently in command of an infantry brigade. He was wounded at Cross Keys, Va., June 8, 1862; participated in an attack on Culp's Hill, Gettysburg, July, 1863; occupied the right parallel of the Confederate [p.13] center, known as the "bloody angle," at the battle of Spottsylvania Court House, May 9-12, 1864; was taken prisoner with 4,000 of his men but was exchanged some months afterward, and participated in the battle of Five Forks, April 1, 1865. After the war he returned to Baltimore, Md., and in 1903 was residing at South River, Anne Arundel county, Md. Verplanck House, Mt Guilian. Fishkill - on Hudson, N.Y.
[Source : The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume VI]*